Season 1, Episode 1
ILTA CEO Joy Heath Rush on the changing legal landscape
In this this inaugural episode of the podcast, we speak with Joy about her views on the changing legal landscape. Amongst other items, we discuss testing assumptions she had about the ILTA community, trends she’s seeing in the legal profession, and what firm leaders can put into action immediately to make a noticeable difference.
Some of the items we cover in the episode include:
- The value of listening, and the learning about the deep love & passion for the ILTA organisation
- The four key learning about the ILTA community Joy learnt about as she became CEO
- A need for more diversity
- People have too many ideas, and they don’t know what to do with them
- The need for greater transparency
- The want from the community to volunteer more
- We also cover some trends & patterns Joy observed across the wider industry
- Innovation is overhyped
- The lack of understanding around emerging topics/technologies
- How the law firm business landscape is changing
- The prevalence of “the cloud”
- The importance of data driven performance tracking
- Increasing competition from the Big 4
- How law schools are stepping up and becoming more engaged
- What action can law firm leaders take today to make an impact
Please subscribe, and if you enjoyed the episode help me by leaving a review.
Special guest: Joy Heath Rush
Joy is the CEO of ILTA. Prior to this she worked at Litera Microsystems, a leading vendor in the legal technology space.
Joy has experience working across a number of business and law firm functions, and has also served as an ILTA President. Joy also spent a long and fruitful career at the global law firm, Sidley Austin, where she their enterprise application team.
Host: abhijat saraswat
Abhijat (“Ab”) Saraswat is a non-practicing Barrister, and holds a BSc. in Forensic Science and Neuroscience from the University of Keele.
Ab is the host of the Fringe Legal podcast. In addition, Ab works as the Director of International Business at Litera Microsystems helping some of the world’s largest and most prestigious law firms with their technology needs. His work focuses on helping lawyers to create & deliver higher quality legal services, faster.