Andrea Markstrom serves as Blank Rome’s Chief Information Officer, responsible for leading Firm-wide technology and security initiatives across all of Blank Rome’s practices and geographies. Andrea also started the Women in Law Leaders (iWILL) networking group in New York and would welcome any questions and provide more information to anyone interested.
Meredith Lonner is the Administrator at Franklin, Weinrib, Rudell & Vassallo, P.C. a leading boutique law firm based in New York City specializing in entertainment law.
Andrea and Meredith are from very different firms, not just in the type of law they practice, but also more obviously, the size. There were plenty of contrasts between how Meredith and Andrea approach similar topics, such as looking at technology, working with the partnership, and even how they found themselves to be in legal. However, (and perhaps surprisingly) there were similarities also and I walked away from the conversation with plenty of learnings.
We cover the following in this episode:
- Their very different journey into legal (from Target Corp vs from working in a law firm as a paralegal)
- How to work with internal stakeholders (listening to 700 vs 16 business owners)
- What does an Administrator do at a small firm
- What Andrea considers to be the role of a CIO and how it affects her outlook on innovation
- The importance of security
- How Andrea & Meredith consider the purchase of technology and new initiatives
- How Blockchain might be relevant for the entertainment industry
- The pressures of competition across both their businesses
- Women in tech
Andrea also started the Women in Law Leaders (iWILL) networking group in New York and would welcome any questions and provide more information to anyone interested.