Season 1, Episode 6
Paul Domnick on the changing landscape of the legal profession
Paul Domnick is President of Litera Microsystems, having been President of Litéra Corp from 2014 to 2017. He brings unique insight into the utility of the Litera Microsystems’ risk management solutions having previously been CIO of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer for five years. Before taking on this role in early 2007, Paul was head of global IT sourcing for Zurich Financial Services.
Paul is such a font of knowledge, and has so many great stories which distill some of his learnings. I segmented our conversation in exploring Pauls’ past (being a CIO), his present (President at Litera Microsystems), and the future (what are some items a knowledge worker should be thinking about).
Full disclosure, I work with Paul at Litera Microsystems.
We cover the following in this episode:
- PAST: Pauls’ move from financial services to the legal profession, and how the technology needs differ between law firms and professional service organisations.
- Why Freshfields deliberately hired a CIO (and others) from outside of legal – and why this might be more common in the future.
- Lessons learnt from being a CIO (listening, learning the law firm mechanics, and growing as a leader)
- The role of IT leaders as representatives of change in an organisation
- PRESENT: how running a different kind of procurement organisation at Freshfields led to Paul moving to Litera
- Growing a company from a customer centric view point (grow so you can better serve your client base)
- The formation of Litera Microsystems, and vision behind the creation of a platform company
- FUTURE: true disruption comes when someone does something so drastic with current technology it changes the game
- How technology can have a meaningful impact on people’s life and what role innovation plays into this
- Trends for the knowledge worker – the idea of augmentating technology to your current role
- AI becoming an ubiquitous piece of technology. AI is successful when you don’t know it’s around you.
- Advantage of a first mover vs being a fast follower
Special guest: Paul Domnick
Paul Domnick is President of Litera Microsystems, having been President of Litéra Corp from 2014 to 2017.
He brings unique insight into the utility of the Litera Microsystems’ risk management solutions having previously been CIO of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer for five years. There he was responsible for a global team of more than 300, covering all areas in IT & IS such as change management, information security, infrastructure operations and help-desk support, technical architecture, vendor management, application support, program and project delivery.
Paul also has a background in the financial service sector, serving as group chief technology officer and deputy head of IT for Zurich Financial Services responsible for technology strategy, standards, enterprise and applications architecture across the entire business. Before taking on this role in early 2007, Paul was head of global IT sourcing for Zurich Financial Services.
Connect with Paul on LinkedIn.
Host: abhijat saraswat
Abhijat (“Ab”) Saraswat is a non-practicing Barrister, and holds a BSc. in Forensic Science and Neuroscience from the University of Keele.
Ab is the host of the Fringe Legal podcast. In addition, Ab works as the Director of International Business at Litera Microsystems helping some of the world’s largest and most prestigious law firms with their technology needs. His work focuses on helping lawyers to create & deliver higher quality legal services, faster.